May 4, 2016.
Here's how I think Trump's support breaks down for the general election.
- 20% True believers who for various reasons think Trump will be a good president.
- 20% GOP faithful who feel obliged to vote for their party's nominee no matter who he is or what damage he'll do.
- 20% Think, what the hell, nothing else has worked, might as well try this. How much worse can he screw things up?
- 20% Want things even more screwed up. This is the “The hell with this, the hell with you, the hell with everything!” vote.
- And 20% Just think it'll be a hoot to have a lunatic clown in the White House.
The last group includes most of the political press corps.