TOWN OF NEWBURGH — Lorraine Kerr selected few possessions to take with her on Wednesday morning.
She gathered two triangular cases that held United States flags, and she carried them to a retaining wall along her driveway. She piled an old FDNY sweatshirt between them and placed a blue fireman's parade hat on top of it.
She brought out three bags, a stuffed panda and an old Christmas stocking stuffed with a Disney Sparkling Princess doll. She leaned a dated portrait of four children against one of the bags and sat down on the retaining wall.
A neighbor saw her there at about 8:30 a.m. He heard the wail of firetruck sirens 30 minutes later. Smoke clouded the upper windows of Kerr's split-level house and hung under the eaves. The house at 8 Marian Drive was burning from a back bedroom.
When Kerr's husband was alive, he had crawled all over the house. He painted the walls and worked on the lawn. But that was a long time ago.
Read all of Doyle Murphys’ story, After firefighter husband died, widow's life unraveled, neighbor says, at the Times-Herald Record.
Registration not required but recommended.